Friday, October 25, 2013

Possibilities of Life

We are writing our own history, everyday. Each one of us has a unique purpose and distinct path, but one thing is in common: during this long journey, we have to be presented with all kinds of lessons in order to fulfil those purposes.

Still this fact is sometimes paradoxical. We learned multiple disciplines at the beginning of our school education, and much of what we learned later became part of our common sense, as long as we use them frequently in daily life, such as simple calculation. Others, like calculus and molecular weight of commonest chemical elements, if we are not engaged in some related fields, we just give it back to the teachers.

But is there the possibility that we remember everything we learnt? Yes, if we revise them from time to time. Then another question comes: why do we need to know so much that we may never use these knowledge? This is a formidable question.

Years ago when I was in high school, we had a debate on this issue. My seatmate hold the point that people need to focus on a few things which are helpful for the future career, and mine was on his opposite side. The reason I believe it's necessary to know some knowledge from every subject is mainly   that I view the world as a whole, and everything is connected with each other, perceivable by man or not. Neither of us could persuade the other. Today, he's become a successful red wine dealer after getting his bachelor degree from France, and I'm still enjoying my struggle for a PhD in medical biology. We kept the habit of mocking at each other when we meet on line.
-Knowledge can change one's fortune! That's why you are outside the door of marriage. What's the use of learning so much for so many years? Marrying the right man is better than working hard!
-Sorry, I can only live the way as I wish. Don't laugh at me. How about yourself? Maybe you've never wasted time on unrelated things?
He suddenly became serious.
-Humm, I should say, it is the seemingly unrelated knowledge that helps me run my business today.

There's a well-known psychological theory called Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Originally, Maslow classified human needs into five stages: Physiological, Safety, Belongingness and Love, Esteem, Self-Actualization and Self-Transcendence. Personally, I agree with this theory and use it to explain my choice. For me, wanting to know is closely related with the need of Self-Actualization and Self-Transcendence, that is to say, keeping the key to all the possibilities of life.

Then what is the possibilities of life? Again, a definition which is difficult to explain. Maybe a good example is the strategy of Google-they just keeping on innovating things that can change our life gradually, from Android to self-driving cars, google glass and even Project Loon. By this way, people connect today with the future, not only that, but also daily life with infinity.

Thank all the friends who show me these possibilities do exist. Thank you, Etai, for explaining me fundamental principles of fluid dynamic together with  the usage of MatLab and COMSOL; Thank you, Peng, for telling the story of Schrodinger's Cat and uncertainty principle; Thank you, Yong, for describing Bach's fugue with your personal understanding so vividly; Thank you, Yiqiao, for sharing with me your opinions about all these aspects of life.  Friends are the windows from whom you see an extended world, friends are the mirrors from whom you see the past. I'll remember the time being with you, it would be the best part of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment